Accessible Page Links

Page Tools

Main page Content

Enrolling at our school

Enrolment policy

Whitfield state school has an approved enrolment management plan (PDF, 112KB)​

The approved catchment area for the school is shown on the interactive catchment map.  

All students who reside within the local catchment area and are eligible for enrolment in the educational program offered by the school have a right to automatic enrolment at the school. In addition, the following groups of students are also eligible for automatic enrolment:

  • All students enrolled at Whitfield state school on the final day of the preceding year. 

  • Children and young people who are subject to child protection orders that grant guardianship or custody to the chief executive officer of the Department of communities or child safety. 

  • Siblings of current students at a school who reside outside of the catchment are entitled to enrol at the school (excluding siblings of students accepted into programs such as programs of excellence). 

  • Students whose parent or legal guardian is employed by the school. 

  • Students accepted under the international student program. 

  • Students accepted into a program of excellence (ie gifted education or sport and physical education) 

The principal will hold places for students who relocate to within the catchment boundary throughout the school year. Enrolment of students from outside the local catchment area will be managed to ensure that the total current and forecast enrolments do not exceed the school’s current build capacity and where applicable will ensure there is an even spread of students across year levels or class groupings.  

Proof of residency 

Parents or legal guardians who wish to enrol their child at the school will need to demonstrate that the student's principal place of residence is within the catchment area. current proof of residency at the address indicated can be provided by way of one of each of the following: 

  • One primary source - a current lease agreement, or rates notice, or unconditional sale agreement, 
  • One secondary source - a utility bill (e.g. electricity, gas) showing this same address and parent's/legal guardian's name. 

If the principal is not satisfied that the documentation provided by an applicant demonstrates adequately that the address stated is the student's principal place of residence, then the Principal may request further sources of proof of residence, such as an additional utility bill (e.g. water) showing the same address. 

The principal may also request a properly sworn statutory declaration from the enrolling parent or legal guardian attesting that the student's principal place of residence is the place nominated in the enrolment application. Applicants should note that a false statement / assertion about the student's principal place of residence may amount to an offence and may be reported to police. The school principal may repeal a decision to enrol a student in such circumstances.
Related documents